Monday, October 27, 2008

A little diversion from DCmates

Let me blog about my last performance with FSPU UiTM Band, today. Give DCmates a bit of a rest.

Venue: Concorde Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
Event: Wedding of Nabila and Agus
Band members: Mahen on Bass, Halim on Lead, Lee on Rhythm and 2nd Lead, Nasser on Acoustic, Fairuz (staff) on 3rd guitar, Remy on drums, Dr Esmawee (or WieBurn of DCmates) on percussion, Fairuz (student) on percussion, Shazz on keys
Band manager: Dr Esmawee
Vocalists: Fairuz (student) and Tengku Ida

It was a long day for all of us. I didn't help out with the morning transportation of equipments from UiTM, because I had to sort out my morning medical checkup and my kiddo. I could only help out with the transportation after the show, which led to 3AM after everything was settled.

Photos captured after 10AM at Concorde KL Ballroom, during the setting up of equipments...



Let me go straight to commenting on the show itself.

The event witnessed the unity between 2 nations - Malaysia and Indonesia - thus our songs were mainly from evergreen oldies of Malay and Indonesian songs. The climax of our performance (from my point of view) was when we made heads turned everytime we 'stroke' the first note of an oldie, such as "Widuri", "Budi Setahun Segunung Intan", "Jangan Ada Dusta", and "Kasih". Guests must have felt impressed seeing 'youngsters' performing the veterans' numbers quite fluently. Something to be proud of, which I think this band is unique for.

We had 2 sessions - during dinner and after the VVIP left the hall. The first session was cut short, thus we missed the chance to perform "Mencintaimu"... so Fairuz (the vocalist) and I were thanking God so much for that! Haha!! Well, kinda frustrated (because it would be the most impressive performance from us both if we could make it right) but relieved at the same time (because we tend to lose the tempo, a challenging song for both of us).

As how Halim used to tell me, "KakShah kena leleh lebeh sikit... tak cukup leleh lagi tu!" Yeah, right! I was known to be very bad at ballad, dear... :-p My teachers always scolded me for the same reason since I was a kid. I couldn't even play the old version of "Negaraku" well enough because I was so impatient to do the 'leleh' part and waiting for the song to end! That's how I ended up with DCmates, playing hard rock and heavy dance tunes. Duh...

Back to the scores... We managed to perform... Hhmm, where's my list? I think we covered most of the songs planned to be played that night. Among all are:

1. Pengantin Baru_Saloma
2. Widuri_Bob Tutupoli
3. Malam Ini_Sudirman
4. Hello_Lionel
5. Kaseh_Hetty (F)
6. Budi Setahun Segunung Intan_Ahmad Jais (M/F)
7. Jangan Ada Dusta_Broery
8. Senja Di Kuala Lumpur_Broery
9. Dan_Sheila On 7
10. Kau lah Segala nya_Ruth (F)
11. Mencintai Mu_Kris Dayanti (F)
12. Wonderful Tonight_Eric
13. Selamat Hari Raya_Ahmad Jais
14. Sepasang Kurung Biru_Khairil Johari
15. Hujan_Adibah Noor (F)

From the list, I think we missed out "Senja di Kuala Lumpur" and "Mencintaimu". (Oh dear! My amnesia is worsen! Huu huu...)

Backstage scene, everyone with his/her own way to overcome the anxiety...

I think I will list down all the songs I've performed and practiced in this blog, as part of my portfolio... some time later... when time permits...

I will also upload more photos of the event, once I receive them from our photographers.

Yet to have a proper band name,
Shazz @ FSPUBand
28 Oct 2008

1 comment:

shaZZ said...

Forgot to add one part...

During the performance, especially the oldies, there were cameramen hovering on my keys and notes - they thought they could capture the chords and melodies for the songs and how I played the solo parts, it seemed! Hhmm...

At one point, I just remained static because they annoyed me too much that I forgot how to play... :-S