Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Gig @ Charlie's - Part 7

Event: Gig
Venue: Charlie's Reserve Restaurant & Bistro, MAA Building, Jalan Dewan Bahasa, KL
Date: 30 July 2008
Time: 8:00 - 10:00PM

Members:
Sadat on Bass and vocal, Chef (Kenit) on lead and rhythm, Mihad on rhythm, Wieburn on drums, Shazz on keys, Kyra on vocals


Last night's performance was much better than the previous one, more relaxed, more 'feel'... at least that's what I feel.

Before we started our gig, I joined the girls' round table that was much more noisier and happening compared to the boys' table. The boys were puffing hard (smoking, I mean), looking worried but all was in silent mode. On the other hand, the girls were so noisy as if we were playing 'mahjong'. Kyra and Atim (Kyra's best-bud, our helping hand in sound engineering, "We owe you lots, man!") were telling a very funny story of their bad experience dining in an awful restaurant. I laughed so hard (after so long) and it blew my blues away! Thanks, Kyra and Atim, for that good laugh. (Wink!)

We had a few requests for songs, mostly farewell songs. Good thing we had "Leaving on a Jet Plane" in our sequence, which we performed in the first set. After the break, we had to replace the songs audience requested, which were "Queen (King) of My Heart" by WestLife, and "Take a Bow" by Madonna. We played "Wonderful Tonight" that was in the list, instead.

There's a slight mistake in the intro of "What's Up", which was started off by the rhythm. Instead of 'slow-n-steady', it sounded like a 'fast-remix'. My only fear was for Kyra to 'pull' her voice in such fast beat! Even the drummer felt something wrong with the song, and he was not totally happy with it. I tried to indicate to other members to go longer on the chords (playing 2 bars instead of one for each chord), but to no avail. I was at the back, maa... Anyway, vocalist was fine with it. So, OK lah, not bad.

We inserted acoustic versions of "Tears in Heaven" and "I Don't Wanna Talk About It", sang by Sadat and Kyra, backed up music by Sadat. At least the rest of the band members got the chance to view the performance from the audience's perspective. It was a last-minute decision by Sadat to play acoustic, and it was wonderful... Good job, Bro and Sis!

By the end of the session, I was a bit out of 'feel'. Some said I looked tired, even though I didn't feel 'that' tired (I mean, I felt worse before). By the time we played "La Bamba" as our last song, I was kinda lost, not quite sure how to play the rhythm/melody. I couldn't play as well and as spontaneous as I did during practice. My solo part was totally 'plain', unlike how I normally played. I guess others noticed that, too. At the back of my mind, "Why can't anyone sing Runaway? That would be my best solo!" (Sigh!)

To conclude my blog for today, here is the sequence of our songs we performed last night.

SET 1:
1. Have You Ever Seen the Rain
2. Stand By Me + Beautiful Girl
3. Widuri
4. Leaving on the Jet Plane
5. What's Up
6. I Will Survive

ACOUSTIC:
1. Tears in Heaven
2. I Don't Wanna Talk About It

SET 2:
1. Knocking on Heaven's Door
2. Tiada Lagi
3. Imagine
4. Wonderful Tonight
5. Torn
6. La Bamba


Kyra and Sadat performing acoustic version of "Tears in Heaven"


Another perspective from the side bench - acoustic version of "I Don't Wanna Talk About It"

Hope could capture a video of our gig before it ends this end of August,
- Shazz@DCmates
31 Jul 2008

No comments: